Contact Info

Gloucester District Historical Society Museum

12 Church Street, Gloucester

NSW 2422

PH. (02) 6558-9989

Postal address:

PO Box 265

Gloucester NSW 2422

THE MUSEUM

The Gloucester Museum is situated at 12 Church Street, Gloucester NSW. Constructed in 1909 & opened in 1910 as the Gloucester Shire Council Chambers. The Council occupied the building until 1959. The building then became a private residence until 1984. In desperate need of a larger building to house its growing trove of artefacts, the Society obtained use of the building in 1988. Under the Commonwealth Bi-Centennial grants scheme it was purchased by the Gloucester District Historical Society. The building is listed on the register of the National Trust of Australia (NSW). The Museum houses material of Historical significance to the district in the collection & preservation of photographic records, memorabilia & archival material dating back to 1826 when Gloucester & surrounding towns were named by the Australian Agricultural Company's Agent Mr. Robert Dawson soon after his arrival.

Gloucester District Historical Society

Founded in 1962 the Society was incorporated on 15 December 1987. In 1999 the Society gained an ABN and in May 2014 registered for GST. On 28 April 2014 the Society became registered as a charity through the Australian Charities and Not-For-Profit Commission. In September 2014 the Society also became registered as a Deductible Gift Recipient  which allows donors of funds to the Museum to claim their donations on their tax returns. In this way the Society is hoping to receive increased donations to complete outfitting the new Archive and Research Centre, revitalise displays and ensure long term maintenance of the site.

The society owns and maintains the Gloucester District Historical Society Museum, or Gloucester Museum, and is in the process of completing the adjoining Archive and Resource Centre. The society meets on the third Monday of every month at 2.00 pm. at the museum.

Gloucester Museum History

SchooloftheArts

Gloucester School Of The arts

 

Gloucester District Historical Society was set up in 1962 under the leadership of Mrs. F.L. Turner & Mrs I. Hicks. It immediately began to collect artefacts of local historical significance. Some were loaned, but most were gifts from the local community. The society's collection was originally housed in the meeting room above the Gloucester School of Arts building pictured above. The site of the Museum also holds the Copeland Gaol and the new Archive and Research Centre. The new building will free up display space and give the Society an opportunity to re-vamp displays throughout the museum. One major enhancement will be to our World War One room in readiness for the centenary of Gallipoli in 2015. The Society is planning on moving the Upper Bowman School from St Clements Park to the site to add an attraction for visitors when funds or grants allow..

UpperBowmanSchoolroomRelocated

Upper Bowman Public School Building

The society obtained the Upper Bowman Public School building after its closure in 1969 and moved it to St Clements Park in 1977 site of Gloucester's first church, built 1860 to 1861. The school house is set up as if it was still in use as a school in the 1960's. Unfortunately as it is in a separate location at present, it is not utilised fully for displaying to the public.

StClements

 Saint Clements Church

Volunteers

When open to the public, the museum is staffed by volunteer members of the society.
If you have questions you would like raised, ask the volunteers on duty or contact the museum on (02) 6558-9989 or email us via our Contact Us Page on this site.
Requests which include file searches, photos, written info etc. may attract a flat fee of $25.00 

Current Office Holders:

Executive

  • President – Vacant
  • Vice President - Gerald McCalden
  • Treasurer – Liz Martin
  • Secretary – Jenny Richards

Committee Members

  • Member – Ray Dawes
  • Member - Pam Hebblewhite
  • Member – Anne Moorcroft
  • Member – Pam Hebblewhite
  • Member - Barbara Stuart

Delegated Positions (Not part of Management Committee)

  • Public Officer - Gerald McCalden
  • Historian - Jenny Richards
  • Public Relations - Anne Moorcroft
  • Newsletter - Pam Hebblewhite
  • Gloucester Shire Council Community Cultural Committee Representative - Kerrie Green

 

pdf

Gloucester District Historical Society Constitution

Visit the Midcoast Council Web Site to see what else our region has to offer you.